The commercial opens up with this monster gas pump making Anytown, USA its bitch, sucking
the money from its citizens and tossing them around like salad. (Yes I'm aware I just made a salad tossing reference). So in the midst of the gas pump wreaking havoc, Michelin Man comes to the rescue and hurls some fuel-efficient tires at the pump, like Mario chucking fireballs at Bowser only the Michelin Man doesn't get to sleep with the princess upon defeating his nemesis. Up to this point I'm digging the production value of the spot. It's all CGI and kickass.
The problem I have is with the notion that by purchasing a certain brand of tire, I'll save a significant amount at the gas pump. The idea is that by having the "correct" tire on your vehicle, one that is the right size, properly inflated, etc. you will get a little better gas mileage. This is true. But you can't position Michelin exclusively as fuel-efficient tires. It's a bit of a stretch. The ending line is actually, "Michelin Energy Saver A/S Tires can help save up to 109 gallons of fuel." Could you be more vague? A month? A year? Over the lifetime of my tires? Is that per tire or for a full set of four? Do I have to wash my car regularly? Come on. Talk to me Michelin Man. And for god's sake put some freakin' clothes on.
No comments:
Post a Comment